[kde-linux] okular weirdness

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Aug 26 07:40:44 UTC 2009

paul s posted on Tue, 25 Aug 2009 19:07:17 -0400 as excerpted:

http://queuemail.com/snapshot8.png

> http://queuemail.com/snapshot9.png
>
>>> post the PDF as well.
>
> http://queuemail.com/foo.pdf
>
>>> I am guessing that what you are displaying is a portrait format Letter
>>> or A4 page and that "Fit Width" has caused the page to be displayed
>>> too
>
> yeah i went through a bunch of that stuff too... settings, preferences,
> 100%, 50%, new accounts, adding and removing printers, etc... as well as
> regional and accessibility settings...
>
>>> Does it work if you choose a magnification rather than selecting "Fit
>>> Width".
>
> nope, snapshot at 50% : http://queuemail.com/snapshot10.png

So the problem is that it's not keeping PDF aspect ratio.  Width vs
height is screwed up on the one machine.

It's not the graphics driver as you originally guessed, that's out, or
it'd be distorting a whole bunch of other stuff as well.

I don't know yet what it is, tho I've not actually looked at okular
settings yet, but I'm going to download the PDF and see if I can play
with settings here to get it to screw up, and then fix up, as well.

Meanwhile, I believe it's safe to say it's either a setting in okular, or
some weirdness in your poppler.  I suspect some okular setting, but as
you say you tried that and I haven't yet...