[kde-linux] okular weirdness

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Aug 26 07:28:13 UTC 2009

paul s wrote:
>>> Not exactly sure what this is supposed to look like.  Perhaps you could
>
> http://queuemail.com/snapshot9.png
>
>>> post the PDF as well.
>
> http://queuemail.com/foo.pdf
>
>>> I am guessing that what you are displaying is a portrait format Letter
>>> or A4 page and that "Fit Width" has caused the page to be displayed too
>
> yeah i went through a bunch of that stuff too... settings, preferences,
> 100%, 50%, new accounts, adding and removing printers, etc... as well as
> regional and accessibility settings...
>
>>> Does it work if you choose a magnification rather than selecting "Fit
>>> Width".
>
> nope, snapshot at 50% : http://queuemail.com/snapshot10.png
>
>>> I have to say that I do not know what would cause this.
>
> thank you for the response though...
>
> something else interesting i just noticed, when i opened the file
> through ssh -X C0 --> C1 and launched okular the problem still
> persist... yet at C1 okular renders the pdf fine... weird yo...
>
> cheers
> paul
>

> On 08/25/2009 06:13 PM, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> paul s wrote:
>>> for a couple of months now i have lived with some weirdness in okular...
>>> i have removed:
>>>
>>> ~/.kde/share/apps/okular
>>> ~/.kde/share/config/okular*
>>>
>>> uninstalled and re-installed most components and dependencies, created
>>> fresh accounts, yet to no avail am unable to solve this issue...
>>>
>>> on this computer my pdf's look as so...
>>>
>>> http://queuemail.com/snapshot8.png
>>>
>>> and on two other identically configured computers the same pdf looks
>>> normal...
>>>
>>> all are running
>>> Linux 2.6.29.6-217.2.8.fc11.x86_64 #1 SMP Sat Aug 15 01:06:26 EDT 2009
>>> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>>>
>>> and libraries from these repos...
>>>
>>> repo id                   repo name                       status
>>> fedora                    Fedora 11 - x86_64              enabled:
>>> fusion                    Compiz Fusion repository        enabled:
>>> google                    Google - i386                   enabled:
>>> google64                  Google - x86_64                 enabled:
>>> kde                       kde                             enabled:
>>> kde-testing               kde-testing                     enabled:
>>> rpmfusion-free            RPM Fusion for Fedora 11 - Free enabled:
>>> rpmfusion-free-updates    RPM Fusion for Fedora 11 - Free enabled:
>>> rpmfusion-nonfree         RPM Fusion for Fedora 11 - Nonf enabled:
>>> rpmfusion-nonfree-updates RPM Fusion for Fedora 11 - Nonf enabled:
>>> skype                     Skype Repository                enabled:
>>> updates                   Fedora 11 - x86_64 - Updates    enabled:
>>>
>>> i am not running selinux and the only thing i can think of is the video
>>> card...
>>>
>>> C0: radeon driver(snapshot)
>>> C1: nv driver
>>> C2: radeon driver

> [...]
OK, I looked at those.  My best guess is that it has something to do
with the aspect ratio of your screen.  I presume that the screen shots
are of maximized windows.  Note that the aspect ratios of the two screen
shots are not the same -- the one that is correct is not as wide as the
one that is wrong.  It is probable that it is a bug related to your
specific video driver, but it could be an X11 setup issue.  If it is a
bug, it could be Poppler or X11 as well as KDE or even some of the
libraries (HAL or D-BUS seem like possibilities).  Somehow, the aspect
ration of the screen has to be an input to the rendering and I don't
know exactly how that works.  Wish that I could be more help -- sure is
weird though. :-)

--
James Tyrer

Linux (mostly) From Scratch