[kde-linux] Problem with PackageManager (PackageKit?)

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 01:23:05 UTC 2009

On 08/01/2009 05:58 PM, jim wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 16:58:58 -0700 JD wrote:
>
>> In that case you are really on your own (relatively).
>> Packagekit is kind of new as compared with yum.
>> I do all my update work with yum and do not run packagekitd,
>> nor do I use the packagekit cli interface.
>> I suggest you subscribe to fedora-list at redhat.com via
>> Cheers,
>> JD
>>

> As far as I know, packagekit appears to be running on its own.
> I did not request it or start it.
>
> In the past, (KDE 3) I also only used yum for updates.
>
> Apparently pakagekit is some new default update ap for KDE 4 ?
>
> I would like to get rid of it or at least shut it down. If it was a cron job
> or a system service, that might be easy, but I dont know what starts it
> up when I log in.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

Check to see if you have  /usr/sbin/packagekitd

and then issue the command:

grep kit /etc/init.d/*

If any file contains it, then it is being started by that file.
To stop it,
1. CLick on SYstem icon -> Administration -> services

It will ask you for the root password.

2. Once the gui comes up (in my FC11, it takes it a while!)
     search for the package kit line.
3. Click on that like once to highlight it.
4. Click on Disable - which is near the top of the GUI.
5. Click on Stop to kill the daemon.
6. Click on Program (at top of GUI) and Quit.

You are done!
it will not bother you again.

Now it would be good if (using the same GUI) you enabled the YUM updates
daemon
before quitting. I think Yum is a proven tool and will not give the
headaches you are
experiencing.

Cheers,

JD