[kde-linux] DigiKam thinks 320x240 pictures is 4GB !?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 5 09:53:02 UTC 2009

On Sunday 05 April 2009 09:13:19 Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a funny "problem"
> Usually I don't care for applications "à la iPhoto" such as DigiKam. But I
> recently digg up an older "micro DIGICAM", some cheap crap that stores 20
> pictures in useless 320x240 pixel and used to work only with the Windows
> software I have long since lost (lsusb gives "NH, Ltd  Ch-ez! Snap / iClick
> Tiny VGA Digital Camera").
>
> So I thought I'd try it with today's Linux (OpenSuSE 10.3 and 11.1) and
> DigiKam, and DigiKam did find the camera and show the crappy pictures.
>
> So where's the problem? Well, I can't download the pictures (shown as
> *.ppm), because their size is apparently unknown, so DigiKam seems to think
> they are 4GB and tells me I have not enough space to download :)
>
> This is totally unimportant for this camera, but it sounds to me like a
> bug. Note I got the same results under 10.3 (KDE 3) and 11.1 (KDE 4).

Interesting.  I bought a similar thing for £5 in a charity sale.  Digikam not
only could handle the pictures, but it told me the model of the camera.  My
guess is that .ppm extension causes the problem.  It's odds-on that the camera
isn't actually using portable-pixmap format.  Can you not drag the files onto
your hard drive from a file manager, then experiment with changing the
extensions?  That's what I'd try, anyway :-)

It's academic, of course.  No-one would seriously suggest that programmers
should waste their time trying to support cameras like this, but I hate to be
beaten, and am determined to find a solution if one exists :-)