[kde-linux] DigiKam thinks 320x240 pictures is 4GB !?

Thierry de Coulon tcoulon at decoulon.ch
Sun Apr 5 16:51:24 UTC 2009

On Sunday 05 April 2009, Anne Wilson wrote:
> Interesting.  I bought a similar thing for £5 in a charity sale.  Digikam
> not only could handle the pictures, but it told me the model of the camera.
>  My guess is that .ppm extension causes the problem.  It's odds-on that the
> camera isn't actually using portable-pixmap format.  Can you not drag the
> files onto your hard drive from a file manager, then experiment with
> changing the extensions?  That's what I'd try, anyway :-)

I can't access it as a device. lsusb gives idVendor 0x2770 and idProduct
0x9120. I tried gragging the picture from the DigiKam window, but I get a
corrupted file (32 Bytes) that contains only the name of the picture
(pict003.ppm.. which does not bring us further ;( )

I'll search my old old old CDs to see if I can find the original Windows
software, out of curiosity to know what picture format we have there...

> It's academic, of course.  No-one would seriously suggest that programmers
> should waste their time trying to support cameras like this, but I hate to
> be beaten, and am determined to find a solution if one exists :-)
>
> Anne

It would mainly be interresting to find out what leads DigiKam to choose 4GB
as a size. I suppose it comes from the fact that DigiKam has to relie on the
picture file to tell it' size. But why suppose it's 4GB?

Thierry