[kde-linux] KDE Low disk space warnings

Randy Kramer rhkramer at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 13:34:01 UTC 2008

On Friday 26 September 2008 09:09 am, Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> Well, perhaps "temporary files" would have been more appropriate. As
an (old)
> example: if anyone remembers Applixware, the installer would not load
if
> started from KDE (but it would if started from the command line). the
problem
> was, it would crash, write what I call a log in .xsession-errors,
reload,
> crash, write log, etc.. until .xsession.error filled the home
partition. On
> the next start, KDE would not start, because it was unable to create
some
> temporary files (which I called logs) in the user's home.

Thanks!

I've run into the (a) .xsession.errors problem, although I don't run
Applixware.  I've assumed it to be a KDE problem.  (I'm running KDE
3.4.2 on Mandriva2006.)

Anyway, to work around that problem, I've added these two lines to
root's crontab (for a few years now):

14      0       *       *       *        echo "Cleared on $(date) by
$USER cron" >  /home/rhk/.xsession-errors
15      0       *       *       *        echo "Cleared on $(date) by
$USER cron" >  /root/.xsession-errors

IIRC (but I might not), it was the user (i.e., /home/rhk) file that
caused my problem--root grows much more slowly.

(Hmm, just noticed that $USER doesn't resolve to the user name in that
command--don't recall that I had that problem when I originally put the
command in cron.)

I just noticed that I also have /home/rhk/.xsession-errors (soft) linked
to /dev/null--guess I decided to kill that sucker dead. ;-)  (Don't
really remember doing that, but I must have ;-)  (Note to myself--I
just deleted that link to see if anything untoward happens.)

Randy Kramer
--
I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I created a video
instead.--with apologies to Cicero, et.al.