[kde-linux] printer installation - cups error message

Jim Philips philips_jim at bellsouth.net
Sun Sep 14 03:34:47 UTC 2008

On Saturday 13 September 2008 15:27:52 sf2rio wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have KDE 3.5 and I've just bought a new printer. It's the first time that
> I'm connecting a printer to this computer.
>
> When I open the print manager, I receive this error message:
>
> Unable to retrieve the printer list. Error message received from manager:
> Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is correctly
> installed and running. Error: localhost: read failed (14).
>
> The printer is an Epson Stylus T23.
>
> I went to the CUPS site and downloaded "cups-1.4svn-r7893-source.tar.gz"
> but when I tried to install it, I received a failure message that said the
> destination file was missing.
>
> I haven't found anything in the manual to address this. How do I check my
> CUPS server?
>
> Thank you for your time!
>
> Sadakne
> Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

It would help to know what distro you have and what it uses to install
programs. It also is not a good idea to try and compile svn versions of
anything unless you are really experienced at that kind of thing. It does
appear you don't have CUPS installed. How did you install KDE? Or the programs
that come with it?