[kde-linux] printer installation - cups error message

sf2rio sf2rio at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 13 19:27:52 UTC 2008

Hi folks,

I have KDE 3.5 and I've just bought a new printer. It's the first time that I'm connecting a printer to this computer.

When I open the print manager, I receive this error message:

Unable to retrieve the printer list. Error message received from manager:
Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is correctly installed and running. Error: localhost: read failed (14).

The printer is an Epson Stylus T23.

I went to the CUPS site and downloaded "cups-1.4svn-r7893-source.tar.gz" but when I tried to install it, I received a failure message that said the destination file was missing.

I haven't found anything in the manual to address this. How do I check my CUPS server?

Thank you for your time!

Sadakne
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil