[kde-linux] One keyboard, multiple Linux/Windows machines.

Emanoil Kotsev deloptes at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 3 18:07:13 UTC 2008

Hello,

I hope if I share my experience it could help somehow.

I asume you are staying on windows. So it is not a problem to connect with remote desktop to other windows it works just fine. For connecting windows to linux you can use few different things. VNC, remote desktop or remote X login.
I have installed cygwin on windows and have enabled the Xdmcp option, then I run the X server so that it connects to the linux X server and I can login and use natively the linux server. I don't remember if it was staying open when I shutdown the local X server - I think not.

I am in fact using linux primary and I don't see any problem with remote desktop to windows. linux to linux is much easier. most of the time I use ssh -X and run a program on the remote machine.

Still I don't have a solution except VNC if the remote program should be running after you terminate the connection.
For non visual programs I use "screen".

Besides why should you have 5 machines if you can have 5 VMwares/VMPLayers or similar. You'll save a lot of power, noise and so on.

The question is interesting indeed.

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 9
> Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 22:35:06 -1000
> From: david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com>
> Subject: Re: [kde-linux] One keyboard, multiple
> Linux/Windows
> 	machines.
> To: For people using KDE on Linux with related
> questions/problems
> 	<kde-linux at kde.org>
>
> ?scar Fuentes wrote:
> > Dominik Schulz <lkml at ds.gauner.org> writes:
> >
> >> Am Montag, 1. September 2008 20:12:14 schrieb
> ?scar Fuentes:

> Linux/KDE, so I can type
> `synergy' (
> perfect, but it is very
> >> I've been using synergy for a long time to
> combine Linux and Windows
> >> XP and it only crashed once or twice, so I think
> its pretty stable. So
> >> that sounds strange to me ...
> >
> > No crashes, but stuck modifier keys is the problem,
> plus difficulties
> > with international chars. Maybe it is related to my
> setup (a mix of
> > spanish and US keyboards).

This is an issue if you have different setup, for  example I have english german and bulgarian, but if I switch the KBD on the windows machine to use the locales I use on my linux machine where from I'm connecting everything is fine.

> Hmm, I don't use Synergy at all. I do use a laptop with
> an external USB
> keyboard. And find stick modifier keys (particularly the
> Ctrl key)
> often. Plus sometimes keys will repeat when only pressed
> once.

This is also true, but I think it is not usb issue but an acpi or similar related to the load of the machine ... it's alos a different story

> I'm beginning to not trust USB for keyboard
> connections. The AT/PS/2
> keyboard connection wasn't shared, so the keyboard
> stayed "connected"
> all the time. But with the USB bus, the keyboard has to
> allow other
> devices to connect and do their business - and I wonder
> sometimes if
> things don't get messed up sometimes.

No things get not messed up. You can plug in asa many keyboards as you want on the usb bus and all of them should be working.

regards