[kde-linux] font problem, german, Kmail

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun Nov 16 14:57:57 UTC 2008

On Sunday 16 November 2008, Maximilian B. Rost wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 16. November 2008 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> > On Saturday 15 November 2008, Maximilian B. Rost wrote:
> > > KDE 3.5.9
> > > Kmail
> > > Debian Lenny
> > >
> > > utf-8 in locale.gen
> > > Komposer-font: utf-8
> > >
> > > Hello,
>
> look here:
> > >  sending emails with german ae=À, oe=ö, ue=Ì there are problems with

That looks like UTF-8 characters being interpreted as latin1

> Hello, and thank you so far. This is what I found out in between. The mails
> leave here and arrive correctly, but when they return, all the characters
> are spoiled.
> Like this: äöüß are diplayed correctly. But when you send this mail back to
> me, there are no more äöüß (as seen above).

Is it already wrong when you read my previous mail?

I got it back from the server correctly.

> Also here: After sending the mail is moved to my sent-folder, where the
> characters get lost.

Press 'v' on the mail there. What is the content type?

> What are your settings in KDE and Kmail and in locale.gen? What happens
> with them on the way to your sent-folder?

I am using de_AT at euro, basically ISO8859-15
KMail composer is configured for "us-ascii", "iso-8859-1", "iso-8859-15"
and "utf-8" in that order.

Transport encoding on this SMTP transport is "quoted-printables"

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring