[kde-linux] font problem, german, Kmail

Maximilian B. Rost maxmadmax at web.de
Sun Nov 16 16:45:27 UTC 2008

Am Sonntag, 16. November 2008 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
> On Sunday 16 November 2008, Maximilian B. Rost wrote:

> > look here:
>
> That looks like UTF-8 characters being interpreted as latin1
>
> > Hello, and thank you so far. This is what I found out in between. The
> > mails leave here and arrive correctly, but when they return, all the
> > characters are spoiled.
> > Like this: äöüß are diplayed correctly. But when you send this mail back
> > to me, there are no more äöüß (as seen above).
Strange here it is correct.

> Is it already wrong when you read my previous mail?

Yes, it is wrong.

> I got it back from the server correctly.
>
> > Also here: After sending the mail is moved to my sent-folder, where the
> > characters get lost.
>
> Press 'v' on the mail there. What is the content type?
My first mail in the sent-folder:
 sending emails with german ae=3D=C3=A4, oe=3D=C3=B6, ue=3D=C3=BC there are=
 problems with the=20

My very first mail as it came back from kde-linux:

And your first mail ist containing several content-types:

> > What are your settings in KDE and Kmail and in locale.gen? What happens
> > with them on the way to your sent-folder?
>
> I am using de_AT at euro, basically ISO8859-15
> KMail composer is configured for "us-ascii", "iso-8859-1", "iso-8859-15"
> and "utf-8" in that order.
I took the same settings now.

> Transport encoding on this SMTP transport is "quoted-printables"
Same here

But it already happens on the way to the sentfolder.

äöüß

Are there any rules? I'll keep an eye on it.

Regards and thank you
Max