[kde-linux] KDE on an old computer

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 00:48:39 UTC 2008

Lisi Reisz wrote:
> I am hoping to put Lenny with KDE 3.5.x on a client's computer.  It has the
> minimum specifications as laid out on the KDE website.  It is a P 2 or 3 (I
> think 3) with 64 MB.  But how realistic is this?  Should I be thinking of a
> lighter desktop or window maker?
>
> Would people advise a "cut-down" version of KDE?  If so, what should I install
> as a minimum?
>
> This computer is not likely to be pushed at all, mainly email, web-browsing
> and word processing.  I could dispense with many of the applications.  E.g, I
> find Thunderbird better for the uninitiated than KMail, and Firefox is slower
> to launch but easier overall than Konqeror for those who want a simple life.
> So I do not need it to have Kmail or Konqueror.  (For myself, I swear by
> KMail and Konqueror; but this is not for me!)
>
> If I could simply install the GUI and then pull in the programs I want, it
> would be ideal.  Is this feasible?
>
> All advice and warnings gratefully received.
>
> TIA
> Lisi

I ran KDE on a 800Mhz machine with 128Mbs of ram.  It was VERY slow.  I
think you need more ram for sure.  I would say 128MBs would be a very
minimum and 256Mbs would be a LOT faster.  Going from 128MBs to 256Mbs
makes a huge difference.  That same machine ran with 256MBs really nice.

I have ran KDE on a 200MHz machine with around 200Mbs of ram.  It was
not to bad.  The memory stayed pretty full and it used some swap but it
responded pretty well.

More ram, you may be OK.  I hope you are not installing Gentoo on that.  LOL

Dale

:-)  :-)