[kde-linux] KDE on an old computer

Lisi Reisz lisi.reisz at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 23:18:02 UTC 2008

I am hoping to put Lenny with KDE 3.5.x on a client's computer.  It has the
minimum specifications as laid out on the KDE website.  It is a P 2 or 3 (I
think 3) with 64 MB.  But how realistic is this?  Should I be thinking of a
lighter desktop or window maker?

Would people advise a "cut-down" version of KDE?  If so, what should I install
as a minimum?

This computer is not likely to be pushed at all, mainly email, web-browsing
and word processing.  I could dispense with many of the applications.  E.g, I
find Thunderbird better for the uninitiated than KMail, and Firefox is slower
to launch but easier overall than Konqeror for those who want a simple life.
So I do not need it to have Kmail or Konqueror.  (For myself, I swear by
KMail and Konqueror; but this is not for me!)

If I could simply install the GUI and then pull in the programs I want, it
would be ideal.  Is this feasible?

All advice and warnings gratefully received.

TIA
Lisi