[kde-linux] Problems logging in to KDE4

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Tue May 6 05:10:45 UTC 2008

Rosalind Mitchell wrote:
> I tried installing KDE4 to evaluate under Kubuntu Hardy.
>
> I log in correctly at the usual prompt, selecting KDE4 as the chosen session.
> A KDE4 splash screen appears.  The usual series of icons appears as it goes
> through the motions of setting up, and then...
>
> Back to the login prompt.

To run KDE-4, a lot of environment variables need to be set to different
values.  How are you accomplishing this?

To find the specific problem, login with Session Type = Failsafe.

Then in the Xterm run:

	startkde > user.log 2>&1

You might need the full path for 'startkde'.

Then examine user.log and see what went wrong.

--
JRT