[kde-linux] Installing KDE4 on Sid

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Mar 29 21:35:41 UTC 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 29 March 2008 21:00:41 david wrote:
>> Anne Wilson wrote:
>>> The truth is that it will take us all a little while to learn just what
>>> we can do with it.  I wonder how soon we will start to see 4.0 in
>>> distros?
>> I saw an announcement at kde.org that KDE4 should be showing up in
>> lenny/sid.
>
> Various statements I've seen suggest that distros will ship with KDE4, but not
> as the default desktop.  I guess that's probably sensible.  Hopefully people
> will only select KDE4 if they are prepared to put some effort in and help
> squash bugs.  It's good that people want to see it, but real feedback is
> needed, and it's not always forthcoming.

A small thing that Linux people will have to adjust to: as Linux
desktops start being used as Windows alternatives by non-Linux users,
fewer and fewer Linux users will be interested in helping squash bugs.
They don't do it with Windows now - they're too busy using their
computers doing the things they want or need to do - and their attitude
is that programmers are supposed to fix it, not them.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community