[kde-linux] Cannot access certain site

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Mar 29 09:36:18 UTC 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:
>>> Why?
>> Because a few years is a lifetime in computing.  At this moment we have no
>> idea where we will be in either software or hardware terms.  We simply
>> can't predict this.
>>
>> I accept your reservations, just not your timescale.
>>
>>> From what I've seen of KDE4, its new rendering requires far more
>>> video horsepower than any computer I own.
>> Are you sure?  That's not the impression I got.  KDE4 should be less
>> resource-heavy, not more.
>>
> Just a thought.  Several distros have done snapshot releases with kde4 running
> as a live CD or DVD.  The one I have is Fedora, and is quite old now.  KDE4
> is far from complete, but certainly enough for you to see it on your
> hardware.  Of course, the fact that it is running from removable disk
> inevitably means that it's slow, so you won't get a true indication of speed,
> but you will know whether it is likely to be able to handle your card.

I saw that [live linux CDs with KDE4] mentioned. I might try one just
for grins.

> Most people with older hardware are not using it for things that need too much
> speed, and will probably be OK.

Or they're using older hardware and want that hardware putting it's
resources into useful work, not eye candy. When I'm processing 48-bit
color images, or blending a wide panoramic image, I want the processor
doing that, not wasting time making some stupid eye candy thing turn
semitransparent. When I'm writing music, I want the system using its
resources making sound.

I see from your other note that you turn all that stuff off, too.

> If you need speed and still have older
> hardware that could be a problem.  I'm assuming that you are using a laptop,
> since you haven't upgraded the graphics card.

I haven't upgraded the graphics card in the server, either. It's running
an nVida GForce 2MX. I generally don't upgrade working hardware unless
someone gives me something better. If the one in there died right now,
I'd replace it with the OTHER nVidia GForce 2MX that I have sitting in
my collection. ;-)

I'm cheap and don't have a lot of money to spend. Right now, if I had
money to spend, I'd add another gig of RAM to the server, or get a
motherboard for the AthlonXP processor that a friend of mine gave me,
and replace the Sempron in the server.

But it would be really nice of the KDE4 folk to at least give some
indication of hardware requirements.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com