[kde-linux] Cannot access certain site

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 26 19:38:12 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 26 March 2008 19:19:24 david wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:

> >> I can confirm the same thing here.  Works fine on Gentoo Linux with
> >> Seamonkey but Konqueror gives a error.  May be a bug in Konqueror but I
> >> have no clue how to track it down.
> >>
> >> At least you know it is not just you tho.
> >
> > There are some sites that konqueror just can't handle.  I suspect that
> > they use M$'s 'extended' java.
>
> Then why would it work in Firefox or Seamonkey on Linux, as the original
> poster said? I don't think it has anything to do with MS.

I assume that the Mozilla spin-offs use a work-around that cannot be added to
the existing code in Konqueror.  Remember that much of Konqueror is old code.
It will be interesting to see whether the problem remains in KDE4.

> Konqueror has its own bugs. Somewhere in my email collection here I have
> a link to a completely W3C-valid web site that blows up in Konqueror and
> works fine in every other browser.

What do you mean by 'blows up'?  What is the url?  Just interested.  Konqueror
under kde3 is not going to be fixed in that sense.  I'm not making excuses
for it, but it is obvious that some sites are asking it to deal with
something that simply wasn't around when the original code was written.  It's
no good worrying about what can't be fixed.