[kde-linux] Thanks

Sylviane et Perry White spwhite at freesurf.ch
Thu Mar 20 18:43:48 UTC 2008

On Thursday 20 March 2008 03:26, Dave Childs wrote:
(snip)
> Perry's reply begs some other newbie questions, though: I can't find
> Konq(ueror), Gwenview or Gimp using the 'find' function.  Are these
> programs native in Xandros (v4.1)?
I guess not. My fault, I shouldn't have assumed you used kde. I don't know
Xandros but from a very quick googling it appears you may be using gnome
instead of kde.
> If so, how can I access them?  Thanks.
You may not need them, first see if some program you have do not offer the
same feature before trying to install anything you don't really need.
Instead of konqueror you may be using Nautilus or Dolphin or anyother file
browser.
Gwenview is the program I use to view pictures or photos, more convenient than
the embedded viewer in konq when there are a lot of pictures... and Gimp is
there to manipulate pictures. It is very elaborate and long to load, so not
the best option just for a quick print.

Just a (long) sidenote:
The subjects of your mails change from "no subject" (you know it's not good
practice) through "Can't Scale Scanned Image w/Kooka v0.44" (good) through
"OOPS, Sorry Abt. The First Note!" to "Thanks".

What do you think of a "Thanks" that appears out of nowhere?
The problem is that the only link between those posts is you name and all of
these appear intermixed with other unrelated mails in my mail agent.
(on some lists I had more than 50 mails a day so sorting gets important)

Obviously you don't know about mail-threading. I advise you to learn about
this since it will make it easier for many of us to follow your discussions
and when you know how to enable this feature in your mail-agent ("thread
messages") it will probably also make your mail reading easier.

*The main thing you have to do*  is "reply" to a message (probably using a
right mouse click on the message you reply to) *instead of starting a message
as new*... it makes a difference because some meta-data are written to your
message header (In-Reply-To:.. ) and even you may not have set up your system
to display this info to you, some systems uses it to sort and group messages
accordingly.

Do your search first, it is a very simple topic, and if you still have
questions feel free to ask.

Perry

--
BOFH excuse #197: I'm sorry a pentium wont do, you need an SGI to connect with
us