[kde-linux] Encoding questions

Emanoil Kotsev deloptes at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 13 10:59:00 UTC 2008

Hi you are welcome. One last note. I've seen that yahoo converts what I've pasted into html and displays the chars ... I hope you're smart enough to read the mails in text.

> class="pronchars">\in-<span
> >
> class="unicode">ˈ</span>te-lə-jənt\</span>
> >     </dd>
> >

> Thanks! and
>
> > Welcome to the encodings hell!

I remember I tried to write my first program in C years ago. It was easy. It was using only one single encoding, but then internet came up and portability was a must, so Itried to write a simple interface for a vocabulary few years ago ... and was planning to finish in aabout 2 days. I spent 3 extra days reading about UTF and iconv and locales and best practices in conversions.
SO THANKS TO EVERYBODY who helped devoloping UNICODE and UTF and to unify them, but unfortunately it looks like we'll be fighting with conversions in future too as a lot of people use the old way.

O, Babylon ;-)

regards

regards