[kde-linux] Encoding questions

Randy Kramer rhkramer at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 14:59:43 UTC 2008

On Friday 13 June 2008 06:59 am, Emanoil Kotsev wrote:
> Hi you are welcome. One last note. I've seen that yahoo converts what I've
pasted into html and displays the chars ... I hope you're smart enough to
read the mails in text.

I noticed things looked a little strange (you mean the ˈ, which I guess
are HTML "entities"?).  For now, it's not too important to me--the objective
is to actually display (and save) the text correctly, which I have a handle
on how to do (I've changed the encoding for kate (I can't do that for nedit,
afaict, because it doesn't support unicode, my first choice editor), and I'll
download some better fonts for display purposes).

> > class="pronchars">\in-<span
> > >
> > class="unicode">ˈ</span>te-lə-jənt\</span>
> > >     </dd>
> > >

> > Thanks! and
> >
> > > Welcome to the encodings hell!
>
> I remember I tried to write my first program in C years ago. It was easy. It
was using only one single encoding, but then internet came up and portability
was a must, so Itried to write a simple interface for a vocabulary few years
ago ... and was planning to finish in aabout 2 days. I spent 3 extra days
reading about UTF and iconv and locales and best practices in conversions.
> SO THANKS TO EVERYBODY who helped devoloping UNICODE and UTF and to unify
them, but unfortunately it looks like we'll be fighting with conversions in
future too as a lot of people use the old way.

> O, Babylon ;-)

;-), or really ;-(

Randy Kramer