[kde-linux] Desktop switching (was: Seriously broken under Gentoo)

David J Iannucci xqryvahkzy at punchcutter.ml1.net
Mon Jun 9 21:13:52 UTC 2008

> Other than that, I usually do a emerge -ev world and that should fix
> it for sure.  Actually, do a emerge -epv world and see if anything in
> the USE line or those listed above are changing.  Look for the percent
> sign and color changes.

Thanks for the responses on this.... I have since wiped that machine and
reinstalled it.

Since I'm here, I'll look for help on something simpler :-)  On a
different machine (my work machine), KDE is in some kind of stupid state
where it doesn't want to rotate through all my desktops.  I've defined
values for "Switch one desktop to the left/right" in Keyboard shortcuts,
and this was working fine earlier.

Now, however (I didn't notice when the behavior changed), if I'm on
Desktop 1 or 2, it acts as if those are the only 2 that exist, and
rotates among them.  If I'm on Desktop 3 or 4, it does the same, rotates
just among those two.  If I'm on 4, and I hit the key to move right, I
should go to 1, but instead I go back to 3.

Again, this is Gentoo, with KDE 3.5.9.  And if it makes any difference,
I'm using a Mac keyboard.  Oh, and I'm also using xrandr to stretch my
display across two monitors (not actually "xinerama").  However even
under all these circumstances, it WAS working before.

Has anyone seen this silliness before and know how to fix it?

Thanks,
Dave