[kde-linux] Seriously broken under Gentoo

Dale dalek1967 at bellsouth.net
Sun Jun 1 22:25:18 UTC 2008

David J Iannucci wrote:
>>> I removed a couple packages (specifically "skim" and "skim-scim-
>>> anthy"). After that, my KDE apps are thoroughly screwed.
>>>

>> revdep-rebuild?
>>

> Thanks... I had forgotten to mention that I tried this, and it didn't
> rebuild anything.
>
> Dave

Is it possible that you need to change some USE flags or xorg.conf since
those are removed?  I don't know if this applies or not but lines like
these:

INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse"
VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"
LINGUAS="en"
LANG="en_US"
LC_ALL="en_US.utf8"
SANE_BACKENDS="hp"
NUT_DRIVERS="cyberpower"
ALSA_CARDS="emu10k1"
#CAMERAS="canon"

are not picked up by the -N option.  If you changed one of those, you
may have to research to see which ones need to be emerged again, IF you
changed any of those.  Also, check the log files.  You should have one
in your user directory and one in /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Other than that, I usually do a emerge -ev world and that should fix it
for sure.  Actually, do a emerge -epv world and see if anything in the
USE line or those listed above are changing.  Look for the percent sign
and color changes.

Hope that helps.

Dale