[kde-linux] KDE 3.5.9: "Setting up interprocess communication" hang up

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun Jun 1 21:45:40 UTC 2008

On Sunday 01 June 2008, Sam Weller wrote:
> After an upgrade from version 3.5.8 to 3.5.9 on my debian sid, i get
> the error in subject (i run startx from console) when i start kde.
> This happens only for simple user (also for a new user created ex-novo
> for test...), but not for root.

That sounds like there is some kind of permission problem.

> First, I've tried "traditional" solution, like rename ~/.kde
> directory, delete .DCOP* and ICEAuthority* files, /tmp/*user* files,
> etc but without results.

Since you also tried with a new user account, we can pretty much rule out user
level config issues, i.e. it is unlikely that you have missed "the bad file".

> At this moment if i try with "strace -ff -ostrace1.log startx" i get
> the message:
> 'X: unable to open wrapper config file /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config'
> 'X: user not authorized to run X server, aborting'
> but Icewm run smoothly for my user, and so i don't thing there is a
> problem with X server

It might be something the login manager does differently when invoking the KDE
session. Indeed /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config is only readable by user root and
the X server is running as a process of root (Debian sid here as well).

From the output it seems that the startup sequence for KDE tries to start its
own X server.
Can you check if you probably have some 3.5.8 packages left which could lead
to some weird version mismatch or something like that?

I basically performed the same upgrade without any problems somewhen in March
or early April.

You could also try asking on the debian-kde mailinglist on the Debian
mailinglsit server.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring