[kde-linux] KDE 3.5.9: "Setting up interprocess communication" hang up

Sam Weller samuel.weller at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 15:22:05 UTC 2008

After an upgrade from version 3.5.8 to 3.5.9 on my debian sid, i get
the error in subject (i run startx from console) when i start kde.
This happens only for simple user (also for a new user created ex-novo
for test...), but not for root.

First, I've tried "traditional" solution, like rename ~/.kde
directory, delete .DCOP* and ICEAuthority* files, /tmp/*user* files,
etc but without results.

At this moment if i try with "strace -ff -ostrace1.log startx" i get
the message:
'X: unable to open wrapper config file /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config'
'X: user not authorized to run X server, aborting'
but Icewm run smoothly for my user, and so i don't thing there is a
problem with X server

Trying "startx /usr/bin/xterm" and running startkde the problem is the
same, but if from here i exec "strace -ff -ostrace2.log startx"... kde
start!
Note that this happens only with "-ff" option of strace and without
there is the well know anomaly.
When kde start in this way, in xterm i read a lot of messages like:
'umovestr: Input/output error' but kde works.

Any suggestion for this problem?

Thanks in advance for help and sorry for my poor english.

Samuel