[kde-linux] KDE 3.5.9: "Setting up interprocess communication" hang up

Sam Weller samuel.weller at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 10:29:37 UTC 2008

2008/6/1 Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>:
> On Sunday 01 June 2008, Sam Weller wrote:

[cut]

>> At this moment if i try with "strace -ff -ostrace1.log startx" i get
>> the message:
>> 'X: unable to open wrapper config file /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config'
>> 'X: user not authorized to run X server, aborting'
>> but Icewm run smoothly for my user, and so i don't thing there is a
>> problem with X server
>
> It might be something the login manager does differently when invoking the KDE
> session. Indeed /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config is only readable by user root and
> the X server is running as a process of root (Debian sid here as well).
>
> From the output it seems that the startup sequence for KDE tries to start its
> own X server.

I've reinstalled X server and reconfigured x11-common (to "refresh"
Xwrapper.config), but with no results. This is now my Xwrapper.config:
'allowed_users=anybody'
'nice_value=-10'

If i set read privilege for all user to Xwrapper.config, i get a new
error running startx:
'X: warning; process set to priority -11 instead of requested priority -10'
'umovestr: Input/output error'
'Fatal server error:'
'Cannot move old log file ("/var/log/Xorg.0.log" to
"/var/log/Xorg.0.old")' (this is very strange for me...)

> Can you check if you probably have some 3.5.8 packages left which could lead
> to some weird version mismatch or something like that?

I checked version (with dpkg -l | grep 3.5.8), but apparently there is
no old packages. There is a "scientific" way to really ensure that all
packages and libraries versions are correct?

Maybe the problem is related to kdelibs4c2a. I've tried a dirty
workaround forcing the reinstallation of 3.5.7 version (from etch
backport) and modifying the line that contains "start_kdeinit_wrapper"
to "start_kdeinit" in startkde. In this way kde start, although with
many desktop error (no window decorator, various popup error, etc.).

Many thanks for your support, by my side no more ideas for now... :-(