[kde-linux] Need help with media DVD automount

Frank K frankk at oregoncoast.com
Wed Jul 16 08:03:02 UTC 2008

Thanks for the reply Beso,

Beso wrote:

> 2008/7/11 Frank K <frankk at oregoncoast.com
> <mailto:frankk at oregoncoast.com>>:
>
>     How to setup a new DVD-RW to autoplay media?
>     Recently I replaced my CdRom-RW drive with the DVD drive.
>     My current configuration seems to be in conflict with Konqueror or
>     maybe
>     KDE daemon.
>
>     The initial error message response to a media DVD was:
>     system:///media/hdc is not a valid location. After a few days of
>     fooling
>     I have the error: /media/Pale Horse is a folder, but a file was
>     expected.
>     What I want is to have the KDE automount select smplayer to play a
>     media
>     DVD when inserted.
>     My smplayer is version 0.5.21 and mplayer is 1.0rc2 running on
>     OpenSuse
>     10.2, KDE 3.5.5 R 45.
>
>     When the automount window first popped up in response to a media
>     DVD, I
>     selected mplayer. That action seemed to start the problem. Now I can't
>     get the automount window back.
>     Smplayer works if I hand feed it the files off the DVD. Smplayer
>     0.5.21
>     doesn't autodetect media.
>     It would surely surprise me if the "big kids" on this site are hand
>     feeding their mplayers!
>
>     A few days ago I posted this problem with a different subject.
>     It's been
>     unanswered. Rather than continue that thread, I reposted with a
>     new subject.
>     This should be an elementary matter to fix. Just give me a clue how to
>     go about getting rid of the automount error message. The only
>     folder in
>     /media now is floppy. There is no /dev/dvd link. The cdrom and
>     cdrecorder links to /hdc are still in /dev.
>     TIA Frank K
>
> from what i seem to understand of your explanation the problem is that
> you don't see the hald windows that allows you to mount inserted
> media. first thing to do is to ascertain that hald is starting before
> kde does and that you haven't set the option to not mount media and
> tagged the option to not view the popup window anymore.
>
> --
> dott. ing. beso
I spent some time learning about the HAL Daemon. Searching from the KDE
Control Center for hald, I get this URL which I couldn't locate:

file:///opt/kde3/share/doc/HTML/en/khelpcenter/userguide/removable-disks.docbook%23automounting

My HAL Daemon is running, but I'm not sure of the starting order.
In my opinion, I don't think hald is my problem since other "080121_1435
KDE Daemon – " menus pop up when undefined media get loaded into the DVD
drive.
Also if I remove the Smplayer association with "DVD Video Disk" and
instead tell KDE Daemon to "Do Nothing" when DVD Video Disk media is
detected, the error messages stop.
I think that the KDE Daemon expects an association to be between an
application an a file whereas the Video DVD Disk automounts as a directory.
Smplayer never seems to get involved. KDE Daemon errors out when it
finds a directory rather than a file.
By configuring Video DVD Disk automount to Do Nothing and manually
starting Smplayer on the directory, I can get acceptable behavior.
The /dev/dvd link to hdc I created as root didn't change anything. Udev
strips the link out again on reboot. Maybe an entry for hdc was needed
to go into fstab.
For now I'm OK living with this behavior. If anyone has a setup that
invokes Smplayer simply as a result of inserting a DVD video disk, I
would appreciate knowing the setup.
Frank K