[kde-linux] Need help with media DVD automount

Beso givemesugarr at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 09:16:40 UTC 2008

2008/7/11 Frank K <frankk at oregoncoast.com>:

> How to setup a new DVD-RW to autoplay media?
> Recently I replaced my CdRom-RW drive with the DVD drive.
> My current configuration seems to be in conflict with Konqueror or maybe
> KDE daemon.
>
> The initial error message response to a media DVD was:
> system:///media/hdc is not a valid location. After a few days of fooling
> I have the error: /media/Pale Horse is a folder, but a file was expected.
> What I want is to have the KDE automount select smplayer to play a media
> DVD when inserted.
> My smplayer is version 0.5.21 and mplayer is 1.0rc2 running on OpenSuse
> 10.2, KDE 3.5.5 R 45.
>
> When the automount window first popped up in response to a media DVD, I
> selected mplayer. That action seemed to start the problem. Now I can't
> get the automount window back.
> Smplayer works if I hand feed it the files off the DVD. Smplayer 0.5.21
> doesn't autodetect media.
> It would surely surprise me if the "big kids" on this site are hand
> feeding their mplayers!
>
> A few days ago I posted this problem with a different subject. It's been
> unanswered. Rather than continue that thread, I reposted with a new
> subject.
> This should be an elementary matter to fix. Just give me a clue how to
> go about getting rid of the automount error message. The only folder in
> /media now is floppy. There is no /dev/dvd link. The cdrom and
> cdrecorder links to /hdc are still in /dev.
> TIA Frank K

from  what i seem to understand of your explanation the problem is that you
don't see the hald windows that allows you to mount inserted media. first
thing to do is to ascertain that hald is starting before kde does and that
you haven't set the option to not mount media and tagged the option to not
view the popup window anymore.

--
dott. ing. beso