[kde-linux] Need help with media DVD automount

Frank K frankk at oregoncoast.com
Fri Jul 11 04:36:07 UTC 2008

How to setup a new DVD-RW to autoplay media?
Recently I replaced my CdRom-RW drive with the DVD drive.
My current configuration seems to be in conflict with Konqueror or maybe
KDE daemon.

The initial error message response to a media DVD was:
system:///media/hdc is not a valid location. After a few days of fooling
I have the error: /media/Pale Horse is a folder, but a file was expected.
What I want is to have the KDE automount select smplayer to play a media
DVD when inserted.
My smplayer is version 0.5.21 and mplayer is 1.0rc2 running on OpenSuse
10.2, KDE 3.5.5 R 45.

When the automount window first popped up in response to a media DVD, I
selected mplayer. That action seemed to start the problem. Now I can't
get the automount window back.
Smplayer works if I hand feed it the files off the DVD. Smplayer 0.5.21
doesn't autodetect media.
It would surely surprise me if the "big kids" on this site are hand
feeding their mplayers!

A few days ago I posted this problem with a different subject. It's been
unanswered. Rather than continue that thread, I reposted with a new subject.
This should be an elementary matter to fix. Just give me a clue how to
go about getting rid of the automount error message. The only folder in
/media now is floppy. There is no /dev/dvd link. The cdrom and
cdrecorder links to /hdc are still in /dev.
TIA Frank K