[kde-linux] Users guide to KDE?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Jul 4 00:03:25 UTC 2008

On Thursday 03 July 2008, Kevin Coonan wrote:
> There seems to be a notable lack of consumer and non-hardcore Linux hacker
> documentation for KDE, esp. in the standard print/e-book (e.g. O'Reilly)
> distribution channels.

Very true.
The root of the problem is of cource that there aren't enough writers.

Not only free culture contributors, i.e. people contributing to the KDE
documentation teams or licencing work under Creative Commons licences, but
also professional writers.

It is a known fact that publishers with interest in books on Free Software
have a very hard time to find authors.
In the end the only people actually writing books are some of the developers,
so the only books being published end up being targeted at developers.

Quite puzzeling actually, since large Free Software/Free Culture project like
KDE usually attract a wide range of contributors, even those who are not
directly working on the product (e,g. developers, translators).
Would be interesting to know what keeps people with writing skills from
becoming interested in contributing, for example if there is anything the
project could do to be more attractive.

Though I think a more or less recent call for help on planetkde.org actually
triggered quite some response.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring