[kde-linux] KDE 3.5.x ?

M K overlord_3d at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 31 11:16:27 UTC 2008

> Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 14:48:43 +0000
> From: djarvie at kde.org
> To: kde-linux at kde.org
> Subject: Re: [kde-linux] KDE 3.5.x ?
>
> On Wednesday 30 January 2008 14:11, M K wrote:
> >
> >> Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:02:50 +0000
> >> From: djarvie at kde.org
> >> To: kde-linux at kde.org
> >> Subject: Re: [kde-linux] KDE 3.5.x ?
> >>
> >> The patch has been applied to KDE 3.5, and will therefore appear in the
> >> official KDE tarballs when KDE 3.5.9 is released. It may appear in
> >> distros
> >> before that, but that's up to the distros. See
> >> http://websvn.kde.org/branches/KDE/3.5/kdebase/kioslave/media/mediamanager/halbackend.cpp?r1=662500&r2=724100
> >
> > Good to know, but I really wouldn't wait until march (or more ;-) - me and
> > some more people, we had to wait too long already. We would really like to
> > install the new PCs with FC8 (or FC7) for our users...
> > I patched the source file by myself (not really difficult) and tried to
> > compile it, but got the error "No rule to make target
> > `/usr/include/kbookmarknotifier.h', needed by `kbookmarknotifier.kidl".
> > After some googling, I found out that I should install kdelibs first - and
> > kdelibs needs arts and pcre to be compiled. So well. The "test compile" of
> > the whole stuff to /tmp/something_bout_kde ran through well, but when I
> > try to compile the stuff either to standard prefixes or to /usr/, I STILL
> > get the same error as above "No making rule", etc. How are the paths to
> > set that it works? (I tried to groupremove KDE with Yum and then to rsync
> > the compiled stuff to the /usr/ of the test PC, too - not so good idea, I
> > think, now KDE does not appear in the list of available sessions...)
>
> I would think that if you're running Fedora, you would probably be better
> starting off with Fedora source packages, patching them and then
> rebuilding them. That way, you will retain any fixes or customisations
> (e.g. to the menu system) which Fedora applies. This question should
> really be directed now to a Fedora mailing list - KDE isn't responsible
> for how individual distros package things.

Yesterday evening, I got the KDE source-rpm from Fedora and found out how to extract and to patch it - then I tried to install it, and it seems to have got in a clinch with some files remaining when KDE is removed over Yum. So, now I wanted to run a "clean" Kickstart install without KDE components - but it STILL installs kdebase as a dependency for something. Oh, man!

Looks like the guy who worked here before me, was right when he wrote "Fedora s***s" as a commentary in a Kickstart script...