[kde-linux] KDE 3.5.x ?

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Wed Jan 30 14:48:43 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 30 January 2008 14:11, M K wrote:

>> Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:02:50 +0000
>> From: djarvie at kde.org
>> To: kde-linux at kde.org
>> Subject: Re: [kde-linux] KDE 3.5.x ?
>>
>> The patch has been applied to KDE 3.5, and will therefore appear in the
>> official KDE tarballs when KDE 3.5.9 is released. It may appear in
>> distros
>> before that, but that's up to the distros. See
>> http://websvn.kde.org/branches/KDE/3.5/kdebase/kioslave/media/mediamanager/halbackend.cpp?r1=662500&r2=724100
>
> Good to know, but I really wouldn't wait until march (or more ;-) - me and
> some more people, we had to wait too long already. We would really like to
> install the new PCs with FC8 (or FC7) for our users...
> I patched the source file by myself (not really difficult) and tried to
> compile it, but got the error "No rule to make target
> `/usr/include/kbookmarknotifier.h', needed by `kbookmarknotifier.kidl".
> After some googling, I found out that I should install kdelibs first - and
> kdelibs needs arts and pcre to be compiled. So well. The "test compile" of
> the whole stuff to /tmp/something_bout_kde ran through well, but when I
> try to compile the stuff either to standard prefixes or to /usr/, I STILL
> get the same error as above "No making rule", etc. How are the paths to
> set that it works? (I tried to groupremove KDE with Yum and then to rsync
> the compiled stuff to the /usr/ of the test PC, too - not so good idea, I
> think, now KDE does not appear in the list of available sessions...)

I would think that if you're running Fedora, you would probably be better
starting off with Fedora source packages, patching them and then
rebuilding them. That way, you will retain any fixes or customisations
(e.g. to the menu system) which Fedora applies. This question should
really be directed now to a Fedora mailing list - KDE isn't responsible
for how individual distros package things.

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author & maintainer.