[kde-linux] Installing KDE4 on Sid

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Wed Jan 30 20:27:54 UTC 2008

>Folks have had this running on kubuntu. I believe that the Sid packages
>(experimental and unstable) are incomplete and inoperative because of this.
>Correct me if I am wrong.

Actually:
After running /usr/bin/startkde (the kde4 one):
Kdesktop is replaced by krunner -- this crashes.
Kicker and stuff are replaced by plasma -- this crashes.
Kget crashes (maybe because it has no panel).
(As I posted, Knotify4 will crash repeatedly so I moved it out of the way).

As I said (the old) kmail comes up, if fine.
A (presumably) kmix icon is sporadically visible in the upper left of the
screen. Non-functional but will tooltip the master volume setting at times.

Kubuntu's installation is not like Debian. More akin to how I have by locally
compiled kde3.5.* in /opt/kde3.5 in my case. I would not mind having
and /opt/kde4 and not have stuff generically in /usr/bin.