[kde-linux] Installing KDE4 on Sid

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Wed Jan 30 10:58:24 UTC 2008

So far, when I switch the kdm and the paths:

startkde for kde4 DOES execute
kded4 DOES execute
so ...

I tried it in a failsafe session:
In the xterm window, I can do what I want
1. startkde4 .... comes up kcminit, k run env, plasma workspace crash as
before ... (I have moved knotify4 out of the way since this will crash over
and over revealing nothing at all new!)
2. tries to put some applets on the panel but .... no panel available
3. kmail comes up as 3.5.6 in kde 3.5.6
4. Cannot do anything else

back to xterm
5. I can run the old kdedesktop. Now I have that up!
6. I can run the old kicker. Now I have that up.
7. kill and rerun a couplt of applets and they are back.

Konqueror, old or new, will crash.
Dolphin will run (will also run just fine on kde3.5 as well).
Running from the menus gets old apps.
Running from a console gets new apps.
I can do this under kde3.5 as well, specify some full paths if need be.

Comments:
konsole -- I like the tabs, do not like substitute UI for the schemas.
dolphin -- This is OK. Are its service menus the same as konquerors (at least
one is documented as such)?

Some games:
kshishen -- my wife's obsession. New look. Big deal
kmine -- I can now see what I have nicely--needed improvement. Can play better
ksudoku -- new look, new menus, same program. Solo is the best one.

Folks have had this running on kubuntu. I believe that the Sid packages
(experimental and unstable) are incomplete and inoperative because of this.
Correct me if I am wrong.