[kde-linux] Cryptography in KDE 3.58/Kubuntu 7.10

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 25 10:08:24 UTC 2008

On Thursday 24 January 2008 23:28:43 Rosalind Mitchell wrote:
> I'm using KGpg to digitally sign my outgoing messages (as to this list) and
> to interpret the signatures of other posters.
>
> Postings from some users with digital sigs come back correctly, framed in
> green in KMail.  Others, including my own and I *know* I have signed it
> correctly, come back framed in read and tagged "Invalid Signature".
>
> I've seen it suggested that the Invalid Signature happens because the
> mailing list changes the content of the message, but I don't think this can
> be the cause because it's simply not consistent.
>
> Does anybody have any suggestions why this is happening?

Hi, Rosie.  FYI, this one came in with

Message was signed on 24/01/2008 23:28 with unknown key 0x87E4E875F91AD392.
The validity of the signature cannot be verified.

Problems with bad signatures can occur on some mailing lists.  For instance I
subscribe to many lists, two of which are Mandriva Expert and Mandriva
Newbie.  On Expert my messages go through without a problem.  On Newbie they
are often marked as bad.  I understand that it happens when list-info is
added as a tail and some server setups are not configured to discount it.
Maybe that's a simplistic explanation, but it makes sense to me.

I think the occasional one has to be discounted, but if it is common on one
list you could put it down to the list-server.