[kde-linux] Possibility of problems when copying files over?

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Thu Jan 24 19:21:47 UTC 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:
> I'm getting a bit worried about this laptop, as it seems to have a few
> problems not seen on any other computers on the LAN.  For instance, if I log
> out > End Session it freezes on a blank screen.
>
> The laptop has had a hard-drive replacement.  Before it went back to the
> manufacturer I made a backup of all data and config files.  All my .kde
> folder was copied back.  The old drive had Mandriva 2007.1 and the new one
> has Mandriva 2008.  Does anyone know whether there have been any significant
> changes that would cause problems if the old config file is being used?

In theory, old configuration files should get updated automatically.  So
much for theory. :-)

The first question is how you made the back up.  If you simply made a
copy, you should have used the command:

	cp -a

both to save and to restore.  If you didn't, you may have screwed up
file permissions.

Unless your system administrator wants things otherwise try this:

Open a Konsole and:

	cd $HOME
	su
	<enter password>
	chown -R <user>:<group> *

where 'user' and 'group' would normally be your user account name.

This will set the ownership of all files to the correct ownership.

See if that helps.

--
JRT