[kde-linux] Possibility of problems when copying files over?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 24 19:36:30 UTC 2008

On Thursday 24 January 2008 19:21:47 James Richard Tyrer wrote:

> The first question is how you made the back up.  If you simply made a
> copy, you should have used the command:
>
> 	cp -a
>
> both to save and to restore.  If you didn't, you may have screwed up
> file permissions.

I simply copied all the relevant folders onto a removable drive.  I have kept
my uid and gid, so didn't expect any problem.

> Unless your system administrator wants things otherwise try this:

I *am* the administrator :-)

> Open a Konsole and:
>
> 	cd $HOME
> 	su
> 	<enter password>
> 	chown -R <user>:<group> *
>
> where 'user' and 'group' would normally be your user account name.
>
> This will set the ownership of all files to the correct ownership.

Despite expecting no problems when the uid and gid were the same, I did this
as soon as I began to see any problems.  Whatever it is, it's not that.  The
problems remain.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.