[kde-linux] Possibility of problems when copying files over?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 23 12:32:38 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 23 Jan 2008, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 January 2008, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I don't think that's a fair comment.  I have always avoided upgrades,
> > knowing that problems like this can occur.  Copying those files across
> > like that is much the same as doing an upgrade.  Unfortunately I broke my
> > own rule, and didn't back up the original .kde folder.  What I'd really
> > like to do is to back up the current one and get a clean .kde folder
> > again, so that I can reinstate only the essential folders, such as mail.
>
> Since I am usually upgrading continuously, I have only moved configurations
> maybe three times.
> As usual I recommend doing it with an archive, e.g. tar, since simple
> copying often doesn't get the file permissions right, especially if the
> mapping of user name to user ID is different on the two systems.
>
> An archive is also a nice way to test throwing away parts of the config as
> the test can be done on a second user account without actually touching the
> real user's config or data.
>
> However, when doing this I recommend to first switch of any kind of
> automatic changes, e.g. periodic mail check in KMail, so the test account
> does not retrieve and probably delete the mail on the server.

OK, I dug the hole when I did know better.  Now I have to find a way out of
it.  Short of re-installing the whole of kde, is there any way to get back to
a clean .kde?  If I rename the existing one, will a clean one be created by
starting a new session?

I guess that one possibility would be to copy .kde from a new user and change
permissions.  Would you recommend that way?