[kde-linux] Possibility of problems when copying files over?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Jan 23 12:15:25 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 23 January 2008, Anne Wilson wrote:

> I don't think that's a fair comment.  I have always avoided upgrades,
> knowing that problems like this can occur.  Copying those files across like
> that is much the same as doing an upgrade.  Unfortunately I broke my own
> rule, and didn't back up the original .kde folder.  What I'd really like to
> do is to back up the current one and get a clean .kde folder again, so that
> I can reinstate only the essential folders, such as mail.

Since I am usually upgrading continuously, I have only moved configurations
maybe three times.
As usual I recommend doing it with an archive, e.g. tar, since simple copying
often doesn't get the file permissions right, especially if the mapping of
user name to user ID is different on the two systems.

An archive is also a nice way to test throwing away parts of the config as the
test can be done on a second user account without actually touching the real
user's config or data.

However, when doing this I recommend to first switch of any kind of automatic
changes, e.g. periodic mail check in KMail, so the test account does not
retrieve and probably delete the mail on the server.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring