[kde-linux] Opinion: KDE4 is very great, but does not deserve the version number

Ben Kevan ben.kevan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 02:21:21 UTC 2008

On Thursday 21 February 2008 01:44:00 pm Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> On Thursday 21 February 2008, Ben Kevan wrote:
> > Shipping 4.0.0 as a "Official Release" and not Beta will get more people
> > on it, and more issues to the forefront. Thus fixing many issues prior to
> > 4.1 and so on. I think it was the right move.
>
> I don't. I'll be really cautious before I install any distribution that
> would set only on KDE 4.x until I'm sure it "works". I understand why
> developers make a a distinction between what's under the hood and the
> desktop, but most users won't. To many, not only is KDE the GUI, it's
> Linux. If the GUI does not work, Linux is broken.

And actually it hasn't been chosen as "Default" for openSUSE 11.0. They very
well may go with 3.5.9 (although I'd like to see 4.1).

> Releasing half finished stuff is not the way to go if we want to bring
> Linux to the masses (OK, perhaps we should not bring Linux to the
> masses...)

I find KDE to be completed, however Plasma is where it is lacking

> I've used KDE 0.4, it was not yet 1.0 and it did work better than 4,0 does,
> try to explain this to the normal user?

Inovation and change.. Hey it happens.. Look at Vista it's been our for a year
or so and it still doesn't work.

Ben