[kde-linux] kde3 and kde 4

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Thu Feb 14 06:57:09 UTC 2008

I have on another partition kubuntu unstable.  I put it up for the specific
purpose of compiling the latest versions of  programs such as Inkscape and
Scribus which are dependent on Qt4. However for a variety of reasons I much
prefer kde3 for day to day operations.

Now that I have successfully compiled these new applicatons is there a way  to
run these applications on that same partition using kde3 instead? If so how
do I apt-get kde3 speicfically on this kubuntu parition? How do I get kdm to
launch kde3 instead of kde4? My background is Slackware so I am a bit at sea
with kubuntu.

If the above approach is impractical, is there a "traditional mode" for kde4
that mimics the operation of kde 3? I found the traditional menued kicker but
i still can't put icons on the bottom tray etc.
--
John Culleton