[kde-linux] Starting kde 4

Tiago Maluta maluta_tiago at yahoo.com.br
Sat Feb 9 07:02:47 UTC 2008

Tiago Maluta wrote:
> Rex Dieter wrote:
>> Tiago Maluta wrote:
>>
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> I'm with problems to run a kde 4.
>>>
>>> I can run an instance of kde 4 from startx, with startkde in
>>> /.xinitirc but when I put in /usr/share/xsessions a new kde4.desktop my
>>> environment starts with a kde3 over kde4. Somebody know how to fix it?
>>>
>>> I compiled kde from svn.
>>>
>>> My kde4.desktop contains:
>>>
>>> [Desktop Entry]
>>> Encoding=UTF-8
>>> Type=XSession
>>> Exec=/usr/kde/4.0/bin/startkde
>>> TryExec=/usr/kde/4.0/bin/startkde
>>> Name=KDE
>> Maybe try:
>> Name=KDE4
>> you may have a kde.desktop or kde3.desktop that also contains
>> Name=KDE
>> and they're stepping on each other.
>>
>> -- Rex
>>

> I perform the changes, but the error still continue. Maybe my kdm from
> kde 3.5 isn't getting the right file. What's the right folder?
> /usr/share/xessions or /usr/kde/3.5/share/apps/kdm/sessions
>
> My KDE 3.5 is in /usr/kde/3.5/
> My KDE 4.0 is in /usr/kde/4.0/
>
> As David suggested:
>
> export PATH=/usr/lib/kde4/bin:$PATH
> export PATH=/usr/lib/qt4/bin:$PATH
> export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt4
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/kde/4.0/lib
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/lib/qt4
>
> I little image of my error could be found here:
> http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2395/2244923424_5cf554a9ca_b_d.jpg
>

> --
> Tiago Maluta

I madded a mistake, but now the problem was solved.
I've changed the environment variables from my user whilst the correct
way is change in the whole system, then I edited the /etc/profile and it
works.

Rex and David, thanks for helping!

--
Tiago Maluta