[kde-linux] Starting kde 4

Tiago Maluta maluta_tiago at yahoo.com.br
Sat Feb 9 04:03:23 UTC 2008

Rex Dieter wrote:
> Tiago Maluta wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> I'm with problems to run a kde 4.
>>
>> I can run an instance of kde 4 from startx, with startkde in
>> /.xinitirc but when I put in /usr/share/xsessions a new kde4.desktop my
>> environment starts with a kde3 over kde4. Somebody know how to fix it?
>>
>> I compiled kde from svn.
>>
>> My kde4.desktop contains:
>>
>> [Desktop Entry]
>> Encoding=UTF-8
>> Type=XSession
>> Exec=/usr/kde/4.0/bin/startkde
>> TryExec=/usr/kde/4.0/bin/startkde
>> Name=KDE
>
> Maybe try:
> Name=KDE4
> you may have a kde.desktop or kde3.desktop that also contains
> Name=KDE
> and they're stepping on each other.
>
> -- Rex

I perform the changes, but the error still continue. Maybe my kdm from
kde 3.5 isn't getting the right file. What's the right folder?
/usr/share/xessions or /usr/kde/3.5/share/apps/kdm/sessions

My KDE 3.5 is in /usr/kde/3.5/
My KDE 4.0 is in /usr/kde/4.0/

As David suggested:

export PATH=/usr/lib/kde4/bin:$PATH
export PATH=/usr/lib/qt4/bin:$PATH
export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt4
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/kde/4.0/lib
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/lib/qt4

I little image of my error could be found here:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2395/2244923424_5cf554a9ca_b_d.jpg

--
Tiago Maluta