[kde-linux] k3b won't verify data

Bill Wells hammer29 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Feb 5 01:59:59 UTC 2008

On Monday 04 February 2008 11:39:40 david wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:

> >> I have only a CD burner, although the drive is one of those combo drives
> >> able to read DVDs.
> >>
> >> Guess it's not going to get fixed ...
> >
> > I don't know whether it's an Ubuntu issue, but I suspect not.
>
> It's not an Ubuntu issue - I'm running Debian Etch Lenny/Sid.
>
> > I think that
> > most times I've heard of it the reporter has mentioned owning a combo
> > drive like yours.  If you are able to put a standard DVD drive in I
> > suspect the problem will go away.
>
> This is a laptop - I can't change out the drive. In fact, most laptops
> I've run into included some kind of combo drive. So having this bug
> around so long seems a little silly to me.
>
> > It certainly is fine on every system I've handled, but
> > I've never had a combo drive.
>
> To make it weird, sometime back, there was a month or so when it
> verified data just fine.

I have a Slackware 12.0 box that has exhibited similar problems/issues.

The box has a Lite-on DVD/CD RW of fairly recent vintage and an old Sony CD RW
DVD read only.

 Formerly, I used the Sony to write CD's which wrote and verified CD's.  Now,
K3B now only wants to "see" the Lite-on Drive.  It writes the CD but does not
follow through with the verify; not even showing the task in the progress
bars but giving me the wanh-wanh-wanh--waanh and a task (verify) failure.

Tough to nail down a date or a change since I do not burn that many CD's.
However, deep down I feel it dates to a series of Security Updates I
installed in the Nov-Dec time frame.  I feel it is HAL/dbus related but
haven't dug to prove/disprove this.

> Oh, well!

Oh well

Bill Wells