[kde-linux] [3.5.5] KDED using too much CPU

Gaffer. derrick_s at tesco.net
Fri Dec 12 20:34:27 UTC 2008

Hi Felix,

On Friday 12 December 2008 00:28, Felix Miata wrote:
> Top shows it running in the 50%-60% range. It's sending my CPU temp
> up high enough to bump the BIOS overheat warning frequently. That
> setting is currently 78C/172F, and rebooting while the temp was
> elevated showed a temp of 70C, with similarly elevated temps on the
> other sensors. So far the only way I know to make the beeping stop
> is to drop to runlevel 3.

After 5 years the heatsink paste will have dried out and need
replacing.  Its fine keeping the fan and fins clean but few people
ever think to refresh the interface medium !

> After cooldown, fresh cleaning, reboot directly into BIOS, & 20 min
> uptime, temp is at 61C.
>
> The CPU is a socket 478 P4 3.0G, about 5 years old, but I don't
> remember whether Prescott or Northwood. Fans & heat sinks are all
> clean and working.

I have the same CPU and mine runs at about 65 - 68 continously with
odd peaks to 75+ when something causes 100% usage.  Which isn't very
often.

--
Best Regards:
             Derrick.