[kde-linux] [3.5.5] KDED using too much CPU

Stealth genericmaillists at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 03:55:13 UTC 2008

On Thursday 11 December 2008 07:28:55 pm Felix Miata wrote:
> Top shows it running in the 50%-60% range. It's sending my CPU
> temp up high enough to bump the BIOS overheat warning frequently.
> That setting is currently 78C/172F, and rebooting while the temp
> was elevated showed a temp of 70C, with similarly elevated temps
> on the other sensors. So far the only way I know to make the
> beeping stop is to drop to runlevel 3.
>
> After cooldown, fresh cleaning, reboot directly into BIOS, & 20
> min uptime, temp is at 61C.
>
> The CPU is a socket 478 P4 3.0G, about 5 years old, but I don't
> remember whether Prescott or Northwood. Fans & heat sinks are all
> clean and working.
>
> How do I figure out what is making KDED use so much CPU, and stop
> it without having to log out?

I have a 478 P4 about the same age. I had the heat problem until I
mounted two high velocity case fans in the box. One in front
drawing air into the box and one in back drawing air into the box
and then just letting the air escape through the builtin vent
system on the box. My idle CPU temp went from around 62c down to
43c. Before doing this, under any kind of light work load the CPU
temp use to jump to 69c almost instantly and under anything heavier
it went right passed 75c. Now the highest CPU temp I have seen
under extreme loads is about 60c. Setting fans in both ends of the
box drawing air in, created a lot of air circulation in the box
allowing the heatsink to cool better so it would draw more heat
away from the CPU like it is supposed to do. End of heat problem.

--
Stealth