[kde-linux] [3.5.5] KDED using too much CPU

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Fri Dec 12 00:28:55 UTC 2008

Top shows it running in the 50%-60% range. It's sending my CPU temp up high
enough to bump the BIOS overheat warning frequently. That setting is
currently 78C/172F, and rebooting while the temp was elevated showed a temp
of 70C, with similarly elevated temps on the other sensors. So far the only
way I know to make the beeping stop is to drop to runlevel 3.

After cooldown, fresh cleaning, reboot directly into BIOS, & 20 min uptime,
temp is at 61C.

The CPU is a socket 478 P4 3.0G, about 5 years old, but I don't remember
whether Prescott or Northwood. Fans & heat sinks are all clean and working.

How do I figure out what is making KDED use so much CPU, and stop it without
having to log out?
--
"Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor
in vain."			Psalm 127:1 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/