[kde-linux] interaction of kde3 and kde4 configurations

Paul pkaplan1 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 1 10:35:48 UTC 2008

On Friday 01 August 2008 6:06:22 Beso wrote:
> 2008/7/31 <pkaplan1 at comcast.net>

> > From: Beso <givemesugarr at gmail.com>

> > after

> > the

> > there is

> > restored.

> > 3.5.9 is

> > in the

> > is

> > > i don't knwo how kubuntu handles both versions on the same system, but
> > > my gentoo box has 2 different .kde dirs and a .kde symlink that points
> >
> > the
> >
> > > current kde session. try to check if kubuntu handles things in the same
> >
> > way.
> >
> > > if that's the way it works, then you'll just need to move elsewhere the
> > > 2 .kde3.5 and .kde4.1 dirs and then recreate them by doing a fresh
> > > login
> >
> > and
> >
> > > reconfiguring the stuff again.
> >
> > Kubuntu uses ~/.kde for the default 3.5.9 version and ~/.kde4 for 4.0
> > and, now, 4.1 (the latter is an update to 4.0.)  KDE 4 installs to
> > /usr/lib/kde4 so the versions should be isolated, but the behavior
> > suggests not.
> >
> > BTW this happened to me on a cleanly installed version of the distro w/
> > 3.5.9 onto which I added 4.1, so both of the kde config directories were
> > virgin.
>
> the problem might be the following:
> you're trying to use .kde4.1 instead of .kde4. try to do the following:
>
> log into kde3.5 then logout to the kdm login. then start a console with
> ctrl+alt+f1 for example, log in as your user and do a:
>
> mkdir backup
> mv .kde backup/.kde3.5
> mv .kde4 backup/
> mv .kde4.1 backup/
>
> then switch back to terminal 7 with ctrl+alt+f7 and login again into
> kde3.5. then logout, and login with session as kde4.1. now everything
> should be ok.

The problem occured with fresh install so there were no residual .kde or .kde4
directories.  In any case Kubuntu uses .kde4 for both 4.0.x and 4.1.

The problem may not be caused by the config directories, but by the
interaction of some other files in the two installations or (ugh) some file
unique to my systems.  Seems odd that I'm the only one with the problem, but
that it's reproducible on two systems.