[kde-linux] interaction of kde3 and kde4 configurations

Beso givemesugarr at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 10:06:22 UTC 2008

2008/7/31 <pkaplan1 at comcast.net>

> From: Beso <givemesugarr at gmail.com>
> > 2008/7/31 <pkaplan1 at comcast.net>
> >
> > > After installing kde4.1 on kubuntu 8.04 that had kde 3.5.9 already
> > > installed I lost sound under 3.5.9.  (My guess is that this occurred
> after
> > > the first time I launched 4.1.)  After much searching I discovered that
> the
> > > problem lay in kde4.1 kmix.  Apparently it is muted by default on
> > > installation (no idea why) and even though 3.5.9 kmix is not muted,
> there is
> > > no sound in any environment.  After unmuting in 4.1, sound was
> restored.
> > >
> > > This leads to my real question/problem.
> > >
> > > I also noticed that after 4.1 was installed, session management on
> 3.5.9 is
> > > flaky.  Windows don't appear on the correct desktop and sometimes are
> in the
> > > wrong position as well.  I checked to make sure that session management
> is
> > > enabled in both 3.5.9 and 4.1.
> > >
> > > Has anyone else seen this windowing behavior?  Is there a solution?
> > >
> > > Paul
> >

> > i don't knwo how kubuntu handles both versions on the same system, but my
> > gentoo box has 2 different .kde dirs and a .kde symlink that points to
> the
> > current kde session. try to check if kubuntu handles things in the same
> way.
> > if that's the way it works, then you'll just need to move elsewhere the 2
> > .kde3.5 and .kde4.1 dirs and then recreate them by doing a fresh login
> and
> > reconfiguring the stuff again.
> >

> Kubuntu uses ~/.kde for the default 3.5.9 version and ~/.kde4 for 4.0 and,
> now, 4.1 (the latter is an update to 4.0.)  KDE 4 installs to /usr/lib/kde4
> so the versions should be isolated, but the behavior suggests not.
>
> BTW this happened to me on a cleanly installed version of the distro w/
> 3.5.9 onto which I added 4.1, so both of the kde config directories were
> virgin.

the problem might be the following:
you're trying to use .kde4.1 instead of .kde4. try to do the following:

log into kde3.5 then logout to the kdm login. then start a console with
ctrl+alt+f1 for example, log in as your user and do a:

mkdir backup
mv .kde backup/.kde3.5
mv .kde4 backup/
mv .kde4.1 backup/

then switch back to terminal 7 with ctrl+alt+f7 and login again into kde3.5.
then logout, and login with session as kde4.1. now everything should be ok.

--
dott. ing. beso