[kde-linux] Cannot access certain site

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Thu Apr 3 10:03:32 UTC 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 April 2008 21:09:31 david wrote:
>> The arrival of IE8, which by default is set to use Standards mode
>> instead of IE7 Quirks mode, will have a lot of impact on such sites.
>>
> Hopefully, yes.

We'll see. The css-d discussion list has had a lot of discussion about
(and heavy testing of) IE8 when it comes to rendering standard's
compliant HTML and CSS, I think their discussion wiki has a page about
it. They've also been feeding back their results to MS, so perhaps IE8
will emerge finally as a functional browser. ;-)

>> Complaining is good. Especially if you were a paying customer unable to
>> buy from their site. If their only response to such a complaint is to
>> tell you to use IE, then they're not serious about customer service or
>> their business.
>
> I've just told a bank that I will look elsewhere, as their otherwise excellent
> on-line service requires activeX.

That's the only way to do it. Although I personally have never
encountered a bank site that used ActiveX. And NONE of our various
credit card sites use ActiveX or even Java.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community