[kde-linux] Cannot access certain site

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 3 11:44:15 UTC 2008

On Thursday 03 April 2008 11:03:32 david wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Wednesday 02 April 2008 21:09:31 david wrote:
> >> The arrival of IE8, which by default is set to use Standards mode
> >> instead of IE7 Quirks mode, will have a lot of impact on such sites.
> >
> > Hopefully, yes.
>
> We'll see. The css-d discussion list has had a lot of discussion about
> (and heavy testing of) IE8 when it comes to rendering standard's
> compliant HTML and CSS, I think their discussion wiki has a page about
> it. They've also been feeding back their results to MS, so perhaps IE8
> will emerge finally as a functional browser. ;-)
>
> >> Complaining is good. Especially if you were a paying customer unable to
> >> buy from their site. If their only response to such a complaint is to
> >> tell you to use IE, then they're not serious about customer service or
> >> their business.
> >
> > I've just told a bank that I will look elsewhere, as their otherwise
> > excellent on-line service requires activeX.
>
> That's the only way to do it. Although I personally have never
> encountered a bank site that used ActiveX. And NONE of our various
> credit card sites use ActiveX or even Java.

I do use on-line banking and have no problems with my current bank or the
previous one.  I was thinking of opening a savings account with another bank
of which I've heard good reports.  This was their reply to me:
<quote>
The software needed to run Egg Money Manager uses IE as a platform so you'd
need to gain access to IE to use it.

The demo doesn't use the ActivX safe that is required to run Egg Money Manager
and that is why it let you view it.
</quote>

Shortsighted.  Let's hope the lady passes my reply to her superior.